Excursions & Tourism
Optional excursions on 17 June 2020
The conference programme will include a number of optional excursions on the afternoon of 17 June 2020, which you may book and pay for when you register. For further details watch this space!
For information on other things to see and do in Zurich and Switzerland during your stay, see the following websites:
Zurich for free
If you are on a budget and Swiss prices are daunting, there are plenty of free things to do in Zurich. And remember that a public transport ticket for the period 12–19 June 2020 is included in your conference fee!
First, see this website
Recommendations from the locals:
- Explore Zurich by tram, bus or cableway.
- Walk! Explore Zurich’s old town, on both sides of the river. There are gems wherever you look.
- Go window shopping on and around the Bahnhofstrasse, reputed to be the most expensive shopping street in the world (for fun see the styletourista website )
- Visit the other side of Zurich: Take the tram to Helvetiaplatz and walk along Langstrasse. Or take a river walk: see this website)
- Walk along the Lake of Zurich: Starting at Bellevue, walk along the lake past the opera house, to “Zürihorn” or as far as you like. Or walk in the other direction across the Quaibrücke bridge, and around the lake towards Wollishofen. Visit the Succulent Collection (cactus) on the way.
- Forest walks:
- Take tram number 6 to the Zoo and go for a walk on one of the many forest trails on the “Zürichberg”.
- Take the tram to Triemli and walk up and along the Uetliberg, where there are great views.
- Take bus 69 to the ETH Hönggerberg campus and take a walk on the Käferberg.
- For fans of James Joyce: Take tram number 6 to the Zoo and visit James Joyce’s grave (walk towards the zoo, enter the cemetery to your left, and follow the signs).
- Visit the Botanical Garden
- Boat trip: Travel from Bürkliplatz to Wollishofen (or vice-versa) by boat. Make sure you get on a boat where your ticket is valid (i.e., not a tour boat).